by Lisa Nelson, MA/OTR, L.Ac., MSOM
3 Reasons to Immerse in an Epsom Salt Bath
Epsom salt is a naturally occurring pure mineral compound of magnesium and
sulfate. Studies have shown that magnesium and sulfate are both readily absorbed
through the skin, making Epsom salt baths an easy and ideal way to enjoy the
wonderful health benefits. Magnesium regulates the activity of over 325 enzymes in the body, reduces inflammation, and decreases muscle pain and fatigue. Sulfates help improve the absorption of nutrients and flush toxins.
1. Eliminates toxins from the body
Your skin is a porous membrane so when you add the right minerals to your bathwater it triggers a process called reverse osmosis. This actually pulls salt out of your body, and harmful toxins along with it.
2. Eases stress and relaxes the body
Stress drains the body of magnesium and increases levels of adrenaline. Epsom salt soaks can replenish magnesium levels. Magnesium helps to produce serotonin, a mood-elevating chemical within the brain that creates a feeling of calm and relaxation.
3. Relieves pain and muscle cramps
The detoxifying properties of Epsom salt help to reduce inflammation (and pain) making it beneficial in the treatment of acute and chronic injuries. The relaxing effect of magnesium significantly eases muscle tension.
How to prepare an Epsom Salt Bath!
- Add 5-10 drops essential oil (optional) to 2 cups Epsom salt and then add to a standard tub full of water.
- It is helpful to have the water quite warm encourage sweating.
- If your bath water is not filtered adding 1/2 cup of baking soda helps neutralize the chemicals (such as chlorine).
- Immerse yourself in the water for 15-20 minutes.
- Once dry you can apply a natural moisturizer like body butter, shea butter or coconut oil and some aluminum-free deodorant but avoid lotions with perfumes, dyes or chemicals.
- Do not eat immediately before or after taking a detox bath but instead hydrate yourself with filtered water before and after.
- Allow time after your bath to rest and rejuvenate